Friday, May 28, 2010

Typos Can Be So Darn Funny!

How do I love e-mail, let me count the ways:

1. I don't need to shower to e-mail
2. It takes 5 seconds to write an e-mail versus the 15 min I might have to spend on the phone yacking with someone
3. Information is in writing for those of us with age/life-related memory problems
4. Typos can be HILARIOUS!

I almost always have typos in my e-mails...pretty much because of #2 above.  (But really, I think typos are just the occupational hazard of life.)  Here is an e-mail I wrote to a SHE the other day:  "Come over and we can have a glass of wine and admire my birth bath".  She replied that she is not coming over and that's disgusting.  

My most favorite typo came to me in an e-mail from a former boss, a Senior Vice President of a large, global consumer products company.  Here was the exchange:

Me: Do you want to review this or can I make the decision myself?

He: Can I thrust you?

I deleted that e-mail quickly because mistakes like that in a company that size are not so funny (well, to me they still are funny but not to the shiny happy people in HR).

Today, I got the following e-mail from a SHE:

"Hi Guys
Kel is going today to buy a 100 dollar gift card from REI (thanks Kel)
Please bring 20 bugs tonight to pay her. I'll buy a card we can sign."

To which I replied:

"Sh*t, 20 "bugs"?  That's going to take me all day at this time of year!  How about if we bring 20 of those fluffy white things floating in the air?  I can see 20 of those from my window right now."

Turns out, it wasn't a typo!  My dear SHE friend is German and really thought it was "bugs".  This sounds preposterous...until you realize that calling them "bucks" is just as crazy.  I just tried to find out why we even call them "bucks" and cannot find a straight answer...seems to lie somewhere between using deer hides as currency and using the term "sawbuck" for $10 bill.  

For making me laugh out loud today over that e-mail, I am rewarding my SHE friend with a scrumptious Blue Hawaiian this evening.  If you haven't had one in a while, I highly recommend re-visiting the cocktail...they cost about 10 bugs if you order one at a restaurant and less than 1 bug if made at home.  

Happy Memorial Day weekend!!! 

2 comments:

  1. That drink reminds me of the Devil House aka Rio Salado...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the laugh, this morning, T. Gotta run...I'm off, kids' bug catcher in hand, to take up a collection and remit swim team dues for the summer. :)

    ReplyDelete