Monday, July 26, 2010

Rock Stars Eat Protein Too

I've been meaning to post some examples of what a 100g protein diet might look like after I went on and on about the virtues of protein a while back.  It's been on my to-do list, but then I got distracted with fish oil, tattoos, my full-time job....blah, blah, blah.  Anyway, a rock star friend (yes, I know I rock star...impressed?) asked me about it and that was the kick-in-the-Dr. Dork-rear that I needed to put something down on paper.
 
So here it is.  Please remember that the particular brand of food makes a difference (for example, bread can be anywhere from 0 to 4g of protein per slice).  The amount of protein in each item is noted in parentheses:

Breakfast
  • 1/2 c cottage cheese (15g)
  • 2 slices whole wheat toast (6g)
  • 1 c milk or soy milk (8g)
Snack
  • 1 c fat-free Fage or other Greek yogurt (20g)
  • 1/4 c Peak Protein granola (6g)
  • 1/2 c fruit (0g)
Lunch
  • Turkey & Swiss sandwich from Starbucks (34g)
  • Vegetable side (2-5g depending on veggies)
Snack
  • 1/4 c almonds (8g)
Dinner
  • Baked or lightly sauteed chicken breast (20g)
  • Baked potato with Greek yogurt or low-fat sour cream (7g)
  • 1 c broccoli (4g)
  • Salad (1-5g depending on ingredients)
Total is a yummy, pretty darn healthy 130g protein suitable for a rock star, rock star wannabe, rock star groupie, or other. 

Anyone have a favorite high-protein meal they'd like to share? 

1 comment:

  1. I love your suggestions. I find that a high-protein diet works well for me in terms of controlling hunger, avoiding blood sugar fluctuations and keeping my energy levels stable throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete