Tuesday, April 6, 2010

In the last 10 months, I've read more books than I have in the past 10 years. Why so few books?  I've narrowed it down to two primary reasons: 1) Lack of time...three kids + full-time job = zero free time; 2) BORING BOOKS! I thought I should only be reading non-fiction, educational books in my limited free time. It was free-time-torture!

Then last year, I read the Twilight series after heavy badgering from my sister. I was laughing out loud at several places....can you say vampire baby? But secretly, I read all four books in less than three days. I jumped in hook-line-and-sinker into the realm of fiction...embracing vampire babies like one of my own.

Recently, I've seen a lot of women around town toting the book, The Help. I immediately had a vision of this book, sitting prominently in the self-help section of my local Borders, trying to entice any who are in need of a good cry or divine intervention.  I am in need of neither (or more accurately, I would never admit to being in need of either).  When I have my nervous breakdown, I want it to come out of nowhere. 

But a dear friend dropped it off and I just finished reading it last night.  In fact, this book has nothing to with self-help and everything to do with race relations in the 60s...in a good way. The author has a spectacular way with words on a very controversial subject.  I was sad when it was over and I look forward to the authors next novel...even if it is a self-help book.

The-help



Want something lighter?  Here's another great read by Lauren Weisberger, the SHE that brought us The Devil Wears Prada.  It's yummy...not as yummy as Edward (dare I say it), but will leave you hungry for more.


Chasing Harry Winston

1 comment: