There are so many positives with training for and running the marathon...or any running for that matter. Cardiovascular health, runner's high, mental toughness...but what is really underrated is the entertainment value that comes from spending 3 to 12 hours a week running around your neighborhood.
So in honor of all runners, those doing the marathon and those that pound the pavement for other reasons, I'd like to start a discussion over the strange and unusual sights and sounds you've experienced while running. I will kick it off and feel free to add:
- Way too many people working at their laptops near a window without their shirts on...men and women. Seriously, I can see you!
- Old man's private parts that had either slipped out of the lining of his short, shorts or were purposely placed outside the shorts (whoops, threw up in my mouth).
- Road rage! There are a lot of angry people (almost all men) driving around town yelling out their windows or physically getting out of their cars to yell at other drivers. These people should take up running...or take a Prozac.
- Young woman last summer running with a disc-man....unless you're over the age of 35, you probably don't even know what this is...but imagine running with your laptop. I almost chased her down to ask her why.
- Last year, while training for the marathon, I was running along and a chipmunk ran right under the foot as I was coming down....and I snapped it in half! It was so loud, that I could hear it over my blaring music. And the feeling that moved up my leg still gives me the heebie jeebies! YUCK!
And best of luck to those marathon runners!