Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A SHE, a Pedicure, Men's Health, Cannonball

This is probably not a surprise to you, but men don't care about their health as much as women.  Women are much more likely to seek out information on nutrition and health and make food purchasing decisions with health in mind.  As such, the following statistics are not surprising:
  • Men are 24 percent less likely than women to have visited a doctor within the past year and are 22 percent more likely to have neglected their cholesterol tests.
  • Men are 32 percent more likely than women to be hospitalized for long-term complications of diabetes and are more than twice as likely than women to have a leg or foot amputated due to complications related to diabetes.
  • Men are 24 percent more likely than women to be hospitalized for pneumonia that could have been prevented by getting an immunization.
Despite knowing this, I have to admit that I was absolutely shocked over the weekend while getting a pedicure.  After quickly reading the highlights in People and US (since I have never seen Jersey Shore, was a quick read), I picked up the only remaining magazine in the stack next to my station: Men's Health.  I figured, why not!  I read Women's Health and I like it for the most part (although I have to quickly hide them so my daughters don't grow up too fast...have you seen the latest issue?!?).  

So, I started to peruse the magazine.  Here is a really bad Blackberry photo of one of the feature articles:



For those who cannot see it, it's an article on how to properly do a cannonball in order to make a bigger splash in the pool.  I'm completely serious.  There were other articles on how to properly mix a cocktail and a whole bunch of other stuff that makes me blush.  Apparently the term "health" is used loosely over there at that magazine.  

To the men that read my blog, kudos to you for being a better man and taking an interest in your health!  For the women that read my blog, the health of your man may lay in your hands.  And to all, the diameter of a cannonball splash is dependent on the angle of entry...just an fyi.   

No comments:

Post a Comment